We offer HIV testing and counseling on a walk-in basis Wednesday through Friday 8:30-12:00 and 1:00-5:00.
It is now recommended that everyone get an HIV test at least once.
You may inquire about costs at the time of your visit, or by phoning ahead of time. Services are provided in both Spanish and English. Free condoms are available for prevention purposes.
1. You will be taken to a private room where you will have a chance to ask questions and the nurse will review options for testing.
- All tests are confidential and you may test anonymously.
- Testing may be done anonymously, but generally speaking, we recommend against anonymous testing because a positive result on an anonymous test will require repeat testing confidentially in order to seek medical care for HIV and other services you may need.
- A confidential HIV test is performed similarly to other medical care, providing your identity only to those within the health department who need to know, and the testing laboratory, who provides results specific to you. Those who see your information take your privacy very seriously. The Health Department is very strict about confidentiality and the staff will not release any of your records without your written permission.
2. Your test sample will be taken and sent to a laboratory in Portland. Test results are usually available within a week.
3. For clients who test positive for HIV, some financial assistance may be available to help defray the costs for health care visits, transportation, medications and other immediate needs. Our staff can refer you to case management via Eastern Oregon Center for Independent Living (EOCIL) where you will be guided through the process of accessing services that you may need. EOCIL can be reached at this toll free number: 1-877-711-1037.
Free condoms are available at the health department for prevention. Ask one of our nurses how you can reduce your risks.
For additional information on HIV or HIV services, call The Oregon Aids Hotline at 1-800-777-2437.