What is Wasco County Medical Reserve Corps?
Wasco County MRC is part of a nationwide network of locally-based volunteer units that train and prepare community members to help with disaster response when emergency personnel are overwhelmed. MRC members can also volunteer in the community in non-disaster times, if they choose.
Who can join?
Wasco County MRC recruits:
- Licensed health professionals (from all fields).
- Retired health professionals (from all fields).
- Unlicensed volunteers interested in aiding in disaster response & promoting preparedness.
Can your community count on you?
- Members will be trained and prepared to integrate with emergency responders during a disaster.
- You will be a vital part of the health and safety of your community.
- Deployment is always optional – participation in Wasco County MRC does not obligate anyone to volunteer in an emergency.
What if my medical license is no longer active?
You can still be a volunteer– during times of emergency, the Oregon State Governor may allow retired medical professionals to practice. Retired professionals are integral to the sustainability of many MRC units. In addition, during non-disaster times, retired professionals are a vital part of our effort to increase community preparedness for potential emergency situations.
What does an MRC volunteer do?
- Volunteers supplement existing emergency services when a disaster overwhelms local response capabilities.
- Potential volunteer roles include vaccine administration, patient screening, behavioral health triage, patient education, maintaining medical records, staffing alternate care sites, and much more.
- In non-disaster situations, MRC members may choose to volunteer within the community at events such as vaccination clinics, public awareness campaigns, health fairs, etc. The outreach opportunities are endless!
- Volunteers may also have the opportunity to participate in county-wide emergency response exercises, local training courses, and other preparedness activities.
Do I have to live or work in Wasco County?
No! Wasco County MRC is intended as a resource for the entire Mid-Columbia region. Everyone is encouraged to join!
How do I sign up?
Registration is easy!
- Register on serv-or.org. Make sure you have your license information handy (if you have a medical license) and be sure to choose Wasco County MRC when prompted to “Add Organization”.
Are there requirements to be a volunteer?
To be an active volunteer, you must:
- Register on SERV-OR as described above.
- Agree to a background check & if licensed, agree to have credentials verified.
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation – Contact Tanya Wray at email@example.com or 541-506-2631 to find upcoming dates.
- Complete FREE Personal Preparedness Course available at www.ualbanycphp.org/learning/registration/tab.cfm?course=pep&s=register
- Complete two Incident Command System (ICS) courses –
- These will help prepare you to integrate with emergency responders during a disaster.
- IS-100.b: Introduction to Incident Command System
- IS-700.a: National Incident Management System (NIMS), an Introduction – Take these courses online at http://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.asp?page=all or in-classroom through Wasco County MRC.
- Get as involved as you wish! You are encouraged to attend Wasco County MRC meetings, trainings, county-wide emergency response exercises, and volunteer activities.
What can I gain from volunteering?
- A chance to make your community safer and more resilient.
- Personal satisfaction from helping others.
- Local training opportunities, some of which include CEUs/CMEs.
- Knowledge to better prepare yourself and loved ones for an emergency.
Wasco Co MRC First Aid Tent Project
- Through a State Homeland Security Grant, Wasco Co. MRC purchased an inflatable tent, accessories, first-aid supplies and a trailer.
- The MRC will work toward providing first-aid services at local events, such as run/walks.
- The MRC will participate in local emergency preparedness exercises, such as the Cascadia Rising Exercise in June 2016!
- The MRC will use these activities to become a trained and cohesive unit. The goal is to be able to respond to an actual disaster that could overwhelm our medical community.
Dec. 11, 2017 First Aid/CPR/AED Course
Wasco Co. Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) and North Central Public Health District invite you to register for a FREE First Aid / CPR / AED Course taught by Marc Taylor, American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI) certified instructor.
Date: Monday, December 11th, 2017
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Location: Mid-Columbia Fire & Rescue, The Dalles
Space is limited and you MUST register to attend.
For more information & to register, go to: https://wascofirstaid.eventbrite.com.
Participants will develop basic first aid knowledge and skills and the confidence to respond in a crisis. This comprehensive training offers 2-year ASHI certification.
Please bring your own lunch or be prepared to obtain your lunch from a nearby restaurant as lunch is not provided during the lunch break.
This training is provided by Business Oregon, Oregon Health Authority, Public Health Division: Health Security, Preparedness and Response
Step It Up! Students Project
- With a NACCHO grant, Wasco Co. MRC will once again be hosting a walk-to-school program at participating grade schools, through the 2017-2018 school year.
- MRC Volunteers are needed to chaperone students on a mapped route to school, one day per month!
- The first walk-to-school day will be held on National Walk-To-School Day, Wednesday, October 4th, 2017, and each first Wednesday of the month throughout the 2017-18 school year.
- A celebration will be held following the final walk-to-school day.
- We hope to encourage walking as a part of an active lifestyle to all, through this program, and we hope to increase the walk-to-school days per month in coming years!
Wasco Co. MRC 5th Annual Blanket Drive
Want to know more about Wasco Co. MRC or need help registering?
Contact Tanya Wray at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-506-2631
Visit Wasco County’s MRC website
Wasco County MRC (National MRC Website)
Check us out on Facebook! Wasco Co. MRC Facebook Page
Print a copy of our brochure:
[pdf-embedder url=”http://ncphd.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MRC-4th-Annual-Blanket-Drive-Flyer-2017.pdf” title=”mrc-4th-annual-blanket-drive-flyer-2017″]