Breastfeeding promotion and support
- Encourage women to breastfeed
- Answer questions and provide information about breastfeeding benefits
- Assistance with positioning and latching baby to the breast
- Referrals to breastfeeding support groups, lactation resources, home visiting nurses, and infant massage classes.
- The East Columbia Gorge Breast Feeding Coalition serves to build and link families and community partners to support, promote and protect breastfeeding in our region. We aim to make breastfeeding the norm in the Columbia Gorge.
- Persons interested in supporting this mission are invited to attend monthly meetings. Meetings are held the first Thursday of the month from 12:00 – 1:00pm at MCMC, 1709 East 19th St., The Dalles, OR. Call 541-506-2610 for more information.
Monthly Food Benefits
WIC participants who are breastfeeding receive monthly food benefits for specific food prescribed to meet their individual needs. Foods that are high in protein calcium, iron, and Vitamins A and C. Food benefits are redeemed at contracted local grocery stores.